i.t.NOW, Inc. is Utah’s premier managed IT services and computer support provider for small to medium-sized businesses. The primary objective of our 8-week IT internship program is to bring highly talented people into the organization. Our internship program is truly an ‘early identification’ program, focusing on identifying and investing in high potential students early to encourage them to bring their talent back to i.t.NOW, Inc. after graduation.
The successful IT internship candidate will gain valuable hands-on experience and practical knowledge in several areas as outlined here:
- Build up to date images for multiple customers and spend time researching automated deployment methods and developing solutions for large organizations deployments of new workstations with a focus on minimizing labor requirements through automation. Use the techniques developed to deploy 5 or more workstations at a time to a customer.
- Server Room Optimization and Network Documentation – Go onsite to a customer’s site that needs to have their server room optimized and evaluate their needs. Look closely at key factors such as functionality in the space, heat, ventilation, backup power, and accessibility of all network gear. Make a plan working with an experienced engineer on what could be done to optimize the space, and work with the engineer to make that plan a reality. Document the network topography visually with a Visio diagram, and take before and after pictures of the project. Note how the changes made mitigate risk for the customer and increase functionality.
- Mine existing data to discover the 10 most common IT requests/issues experience by our customers. Work with technicians and research solutions to these problems. Document the solutions in an easy to follow Knowledge Base article that could be disseminated to a customer or followed by a technician to resolve the issue in the future. Work with engineer to get those KB articles posted on our website as well as internal wiki. Note how excellent documentation on common issues reduces labor and helpdesk requests.
- Review existing sets of network documentation for our customers and ensure that they are up to company standards. Update any documentation that is missing or incomplete. Note how accurate network documentation can reduce resolution times and drive organizational effectiveness.
- Receive training on the basics of Active Directory and Exchange and gain an understanding of account creation and maintenance. Answer requests from our customers to make these changes resolving their concerns. Receive training on the basics of network printing, and answer requests from our customers to repair or add network printers. Note how an effective quick fix technician can reduce overall response time on the helpdesk and contribute to IT organization success.
IT internship candidates will possess strong strategic thinking, verbal and written skills. In addition, successful candidates must demonstrate leadership, initiative, and accountability. Candidates should have previous experience and/or exposure to tech solutions, hardware, software, and computer applications.
IT Internship candidates are selected on a competitive basis. Candidates are short-listed based on their qualifications, their field of specialization, their academic performance record, and their level of interest. The selection decision, based on how well the candidate’s studies align with the goals of the organization, is made by the hiring managers and CEO.
A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 is strongly preferred.
Student must be enrolled as a rising senior in good academic standing at the time of the internship and working toward a technical degree, such as Management Information Systems, Computer Science, etc.
Available 2016 Internship Dates
- January 11, 2016 – March 4, 2016
- May 16, 2016 – July 1, 2016
- July 18, 2016 – September 9, 2016
- September 26, 2016 – November 18, 2016
How To Apply
Students should submit a letter of interest outlining their goals and accomplishments as they pertain to our internship program. In addition, at least one (1) letter of recommendation from an academic advisor, instructor, or other education leader that can verify the student’s level of interest and aptitude appropriate to our program is required. Letters should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before the application deadline.